8/25/12

EMOMs, the new thing

Until I watched a video on Froning and Bailey and how they were training...I had never heard of this style of training.  What is an EMOM?  EMOM is an acronym for Every Minute On the Minute.  So, at the start of each minute you complete whatever the EMOM workout is and you continue this for the prescribed amount of minutes.  For example, this morning my workout consisted of the following:

20 minute EMOM
3 Power Cleans (135 lbs)
5 Toes-to-Bar

So, as my timer beeped the top of the minute I did the power cleans and toes-to-bar and then you "rest" until the timer beeps the top of the next minute and do it all over again...20 times.

I usually use this design for my strength workout (before my metcon).  For example, I'll do EMOM 7 minutes of 5 Back Squats at 80% max....or..... EMOM 10 minutes of body weight bench press by 3.....or..... EMOM 8 minutes of 135 lb Hang Power Cleans x 5 reps.

I have really enjoyed this new twist to my morning workouts and I think you might to! Try it out!

2 comments:

  1. Just used this concept with my cheerleaders. They had no idea they were getting such a workout till our 10mins were up! Not to mention they loved hearing the whistle blow at the top of every minute!
    jumprope
    burpee
    walking plank
    ski jumps
    jumping jacks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Elishia! I'm sure this has probably been around for some time, but it's a new concept to me. Glad to hear you're working those cheerleaders hard!

    ReplyDelete