7/20/11

Plan A, Plan B & Chicago

"Plan A is to live a long, prosperous life while enjoying my Freedom, and Liberty. My Guns are Plan B." - From a .sig block at The Highroad Forums

I came across this while perusing some old posts on James Wesley, Rawles' blog this morning...thought you all might enjoy. It was originally posted on 10/5/2010 as his "quote of the day". 


Back to Chi-town.  We originally decided to go there to take our girls to the American Girl Doll Place.  Wanting to spend as little time in the "big city" as possible, I saw this as a long weekend trip.  We have friends who are from that area and told me that I had just never seen Chicago "the right way".  I agreed to go on vacation with them this summer for a week to the "Windy City" to give it a chance.


We left on our anniversary, so when we got there Jen and I went out for dinner while the kids stayed with our vacation mates.  We went to a little place called Gioco on Wabash Avenue.  It was some of the finest Italian cuisine I have had in a long time!  Jen said she will never look at tortellini the same again, and I had veal that melted in my mouth.


The next day we went to the Museum of Science and Industry, which is a must see if going to Chicago.  It blows the science center in Cleveland out of the universe.  We then went to the American Girl Place that evening.  Seeing my girls in there was the best part of the trip!  They were amazed...that is the best way of describing it.


On Wednesday we went to the Shedd Aquarium which was also very cool.  We saw the dolphin show, got to watch the Beluga Whales eat and do tricks and all kinds of other water life.  Wednesday evening we went to a concert in the park at Grant Park (part of Millenium Park).  It was songs from Broadway.  The place was packed!  We couldn't even get a seat on the lawn.  There outdoor theater was loud enough though that we could hear it while we were sitting at a picnic table over near the giant chrome bean!  Of course, sitting at the picnic table and it being dinner time and all we decided to have Giordano's!  I have had it before, but it was the first time for my wife and kids.  


Thursday, we went to the Lincoln Park Zoo, and due to my "man-ness" of being to proud to ask for help could not find a statue that my wife wanted to see.  I just explained to her that we now have a reason to go back. :)  She didn't think that was funny.  After the Zoo we went back to the hotel and took a little break before meeting our traveling buddies over at the Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower).  Despite none of us being crazy about heights we rode to the top and looked out over Chicago...Wow, what a sight!  


Friday, well Friday was all about the Cubbies!  We went to historical Wrigley Field and watched the Cubs edge out the Florida Marlins 2-1.  Awesome game!


Saturday morning we spent at the Art Institute before heading home.


Even though we tried to only do one major thing per day we still didn't see ALL of everything we visited.  In particular, Jen and I will be going back to spend another day at the Art Institute.


Through this trip, my view of Chicago has changed!  I still wouldn't want to live there (as I loathe the thought of living in a city environment), but it was a great place to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment