3/17/12

Women and Guns


I recently read the following article and thought it worthy of sharing.  There has been an upswing of women getting their concealed carry permits in many areas (apparently Indiana more so than some other areas!)  The end of the article talks about motivating factors.  Whatever your motivation, man or woman, to carry a firearm, remember this – it is your right and it should be exercised.  When I first got my permit my thought process was, “With my permit, if I want to carry I can.”  Over the last 6 plus years that I have had my permit my reasons to carry have evolved, but then again so has society.  I am very grateful for those who have committed careers to being a public servant.  However, a recurring statement pops into my head whenever I wonder, “Do I need to carry my firearm today?”  That statement – “When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.”


INDIANAPOLIS -- An increasing number of women are packing heat, arming themselves with handguns, according to a Gallup survey.
Personal protection is the main reason for the uptick, but it's not an easy decision. Many women who bear arms are also taking lessons on how to use them, RTV6's Derrik Thomas reported.
The firearms industry is targeting the new market of female buyers, making pink guns, pink ear protection and weapons for petite hands, among other changes.

"We have a joke in the industry that all men are born with the John Wayne chromosome," said Bob Meyer, a gun safety instructor. "They think they can shoot from birth, and a woman is more willing to listen."
Jo Johnson is an example of the 23 percent of American women who told Gallup they own a gun, up from 13 percent in 2005.
Indiana State Police said more than 50,000 Hoosier women have received gun permits over the last three years.
Johnson and her husband, Doug, are taking the training course together. Both recently retired and had a close encounter, prompting them to arm themselves.
"We had four people come to our front door at night saying they were from the phone company and wanted in," Jo Johnson said.
Doug told them to go away and that he was calling security, but that incident convinced them that handgun training could come in handy.
"We want to be prepared. I'd rather have a gun and not have to use it than not have a gun and need one," Doug Johnson said.
Jennifer Stark, an independent single woman, said owning and operating a gun provides an adrenaline rush.
"I was recently attacked. I started thinking I needed a gun for protection," she said. "I'm not going to be a victim again."
Margaret Broderick echoed Stark's thought and said having a gun in her hand gives her a sense of power.
"I see this as another layer of protecting myself, my property, my friends," she said. "I'm still going to call the police, but this just adds another layer."
Having a gun isn't a fool-proof method of protection, but it can provide peace of mind.
"The bad guys seem to be badder. They don't care about anything," Meyer said. "They'll kick down doors and harm people. We have to be prepared to defend ourselves."
Law enforcement agencies are aware that more women are carrying guns, and there is some concern that not everyone is getting them for the right reasons.
"Answer the question, 'Am I willing to take another person's life if my life is in jeopardy?'" said Indiana State Police Capt. Dave Bursten. "If you cannot steadfastly answer that question, 'Yes,' you probably shouldn't have a gun in your house, because it will probably be taken away from you and used against you."
"I don't think I'll ever feel very, very comfortable with a gun, but I want to be competent," Jo Johnson said.
While women are getting gun permits in larger numbers, gun ownership is still primarily a man's world.
Indiana men were granted 217,000 permits over the last three years, compared with 50,000 women.
Theories abound about why more women are buying guns. Some suggest fears about a government crackdown on purchases are a big driver, while others think the influence of reality and other TV shows focusing on women with guns are the cause.
For many, personal protection seems to be the primary motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment