5/17/12

WOD's, Amino Acids, and Food

Today's WOD was Rx'd as 5 rounds of 25 yard walking on hands and 50 air squats.  In preparation for this I attempted to walk on my hands yesterday and barely made it 8 feet...that's, at minimum kicking up and restarting 9 times to achieve 25 yards!  We decided to substitute a 1 minute static handstand (up against a wall) for the handstand walk.  My official time for this workout was 12:32.  I was able to hold all of the handstands for the required 1 minute which means I completed my squats (250 total) in 7:32, that's 1 squat every 1.8 seconds!  Good workout, we were pretty whooped when we reached the end.  Tomorrow's workout is 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 of Chest-to-bar pullups, 30 inch box jump, and Glute-ham developer situps (we will substitute situps on a stability ball).  I will post my time tomorrow.

For lunch today, I am eating 2 small baked potatoes with salsa on top and a side of applesauce.

Regarding the diet portion of my program:
When eating a plant-based diet it is important to get your complete proteins.  These are normally found in the meats that my family and I are now limiting in our diet.  This article spells out how to make sure you are still getting the amino acids found in complete proteins in order for soft tissue rebuilding to occur after your workouts.

My wife recently sent me a link to a website called Meatless Monday.  It is a website that challenges people to cut meat out of their diet just one day a week.  It has a myriad of recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Josh,
    I wondered if you are also one of the people turning vegan? If so I think it would be better to read "The Makers Diet". While the writer did take some liberties, he had a lot of good info in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, we're not turning Vegan (or even vegetarian for that matter), we are just going to focus on eating more plant-based foods than animal-based. That being said I will definitely check out "The Makers Diet". Thanks!

    ReplyDelete